Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week one.. check!

The beetle statue, stuck to the sky with a needle. Ugly but interesting...


The statue by the university- Dumping knowledge into its head with a beer cup...

Lori getting ready to enjoy a delicious waffle!



The university library- amazing architecture! Lori and I went exploring inside--- amazing!


I don't remember this buildings name, but its right in the middle of downtown leuven. People get married here. It's probably the coolest looking building I've ever seen!

We made it through our first week in Belgium and so far it has been great. We have met so many nice people.

Just to clarify, Lindsey is writing this blog, not Jared :) I should take full responsibility for the silly things i post...

We made it to our ward this morning and were warmly welcomed. The bishop is actually from Virginia! We met the missionaries who were from payson, roy and burley, ID. It's a small world :) The meeting was in Dutch but they were able to translate for us into some nifty little headsets. I am excited to get to know the members. The ward was small, only about 40 people were there today which is a lot different than what we are used to.

We also went on a city tour with Jared's team and saw some of downtown Leuven. It was really fun and so beautiful. The only thing i don't get is the beetle stuck on the needle... and neither did the people who are from Belgium.

I was able to meet up with my new friend Lori who is here with one of the players. She is from San Fran and is so much fun! There are two other girls with the team, Lori and Len (Sorry Len if i am spelling your name wrong). Len is from Belgium and is so fun to talk to, she is helping me learn where the good places to eat and shop are :) I WALKED to downtown thinking that it wouldn't be that far.. it took me an hour, and when i finally made it I was so tired. Lori and I walked around and shopped. We had our first Belgian Waffles-- One that was gross-- and the other one DELICIOUS! Lori taught me the ways of the bus so i wouldn't have to walk back home. Thank heavens!

As for Jared, he is very busy with basketball. They have practice twice a day, and he really seems to be enjoying his new team. Their first game is on Wednesday, it is a preseason game. I am excited to get back into the basketball life.
I hope everyone is well! We miss you and love you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Linds for the pictures, I love the architecture over there, pretty amazing, hopefully I will get to see it for myself! Take care!!

Anonymous said...

"the coolest building ever" : this is the former town hall, since last year the administration moved out and it's now only used for ceremonial purposes. Construction started back in 1439.

The central university library : this is not an ancient building. It was financed by the USA in fact after WW I after the germans bombed the old library...so thanks to the US!..,-)

The small statue pouring beer in it's head is called "Fonske" and refers to the fact that Leuven is famous for its university ( 2nd oldest in the world, founded in the 15 th century) and for his beer ( Stella Artois - Inbev).

Glad & proud you guys like the city!

Anonymous said...

http://www.angelos.be/EN/works/7

The story behind the bug and it's strange but famous creator.

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

That is the weirdest thing ever... the bug needle. Those buildings are so pretty! You are so lucky to be seeing things like that! Glad you are enjoying everything!