Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Windmills



Welcome to the Netherlands!
There were bikes everywhere. I know this is hard to see but this is a bike parking garage. WHAT THE HECK!? Millions of bikes. millions.



This is me and Lori.


I had an amazing time this weekend with Lori. We went to Amsterdam, Netherlands to see Anne Franks house. It was really sad and interesting. I bought myself a copy of her diary which so far is amazing. I forgot most of what i read in the 8th grade so I'm very excited to reread it. I can't believe she died only a month before she got to go home. It made me so mad at Hitler. UGH. It's so crazy that people got away with treating other humans so horribly.




We also went to the Van Gogh museum which would've been way more interesting if I was into art. His pictures were amazing, and I found a few that I loved. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let us take pictures in either museum. I can't believe he killed himself over his artwork. He thought no one like it.. turns out he's a little more than famous.


American food is few and far between. On our drive we found this..



and this...
So happy for American food.. love it, although our Burger King wasn't near as yummy as home.



Saturday night we went to the game, where unfortunately the boys lost. They got killed by the number 1 team in Holland. It was a tough. It was in a city called apeldoorn which was about an hour and a half away from Amsterdam.



We stayed the night in Apeldoorn.



The next morning we drove back towards amsterdam to a place about 9 miles north.. called Zaanse Schans in Zaandam. This is where the windmills are! We saw a lot of windmills on the drive, but this had them all grouped together. It was beautiful. We actually got to go inside a windmill called de kat, which makes dye. they were grinding up chalky stuff inside. That's what you'll see in the video. This was my favorite place because it was gorgeous, and free!
This was the view from inside the windmill. pretty cool, minus the window was dirty

After the windmills we drove to Bergen Op Zoom for their second game where they killed the team! They won by almost 50 points. It was a drastic change from the night before!

This video is inside the windmill. The song that plays with the movie is all over the radio here. We no speak Americano is what it's called. haha. LOVE it. I couldn't find the version they play here.. but this is similar.








Photobucket

3 comments:

BMK3 said...

It looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow Linds you are getting to be such an international traveler, looks like soooo much fun! You did a super job with the blog!!! MA Quayle

Jayson and Kassi Madson said...

How amazing! I'm so jealous you guys get to go to all these fun places. We LOVE traveling, so make the best of it for us too!